To lose weight you need to have an ideal combination of eating healthy food and exercise. People try all kinds of diets it may be a high-fat diet, an alkaline diet, and a high protein diet. All diet somehow make you eat in a calorie deficit.
If you are a vegetarian and you need to follow high protein diet and you find out what foods should you eat and how much protein content is in them.
You may think vegetarian foods are not high on protein but to your surprise there are some very good vegetarian foods which are high on protein and do not put a hole in your pocket.
1. Sprouted chickpeas- There are two types of chickpeas available one is green and the other is black chickpeas. You can prepare a sprouts salad by soaking chickpeas in water for a few days and you can add onion, green chilli, coriander in it. 100 grams of chickpeas salad has 10 grams of protein and are extremely low in calories as they have around only 150 calories in 100 grams of it.
2. Cottage cheese – It is a common food used in Indian households. It can be eaten with other food or sources or can be eaten raw. Cottage cheese or commonly known as panner it is a byproduct of milk. A100 grams cottage cheese has 12 grams of protein and is low in calories as it has only 80 calories in it. It has also a good amount of fats and carbs in it.
3. Quinoa- it has more nutritional value than other grains such as wheat, oats, and rice. It is eaten as a cereal. Quinoa has a crunchy texture and nutty flavor. It’s also gluten-free and can thus be enjoyed by people who are sensitive to gluten or wheat. A 100 grams of cooked quinoa has 5 grams of protein and 22 grams of carbs in it and 120 calories in it.
4. Tofu- Tofu is a food made of condensed soy milk that is pressed into solid white blocks in a process quite similar to cheesemaking. 100 grams of tofu has 9 grams protein and has only 70 calories in it. It can be eaten raw or can be used in salads.
5. Chia Seeds- It is among the best superfood available in the market. This superfood is not only rich in protein as a spoonful of chia seeds approx 30 grams has 5 grams of protein in them along with they are high on fiber and extremely high on omega 3 fatty acid. You can eat them raw or you can add them in your salads or smoothies. They are also rich sources of magnesium, potassium and other micronutrients.
6. Yogurt- It is another by-product of milk. Mostly it has water in it which means it is low in calories as 100 grams of yogurt has just 61 calories in them. In that 100 grams, you get 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of carbs and the rest of it is water. You can eat yogurt separately or you can combine it with other food items. Yogurt is very popular among Indians in summers we like to eat them with meals.
7. Chana dal or Bengal gram- Dals are extremely popular in India and chana dal is among the most popular legume. It is eaten in many forms it can be cooked as a dal or can be roasted them ground into besan. A cup of Chana dal has 20 grams of protein in it along with other macronutrients it is rich in dietary fiber which is good for lowering down cholesterol.
8. Milk- In India Cow milk and buffalo milk is an extremely popular drink. It is an extremely nutritious drink that has 7 grams of protein in 250ml of milk Along with that it is extremely high on healthy fats and high on calcium.
9. Broccoli-90% of broccoli is water. It is extremely nutritious vegetable. The best way to eat is to eat it raw. It has 3 grams of protein in 100 grams of broccoli. It is also low in calories as it has just 30 calories in 100 grams of broccoli.
10. Oats- This is coming with 51 grams of carbs, 13 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat and 8 grams of fiber, but only 303 calories. It can be cooked with vegetables. Along with that oasts are rich in micronutrients such as phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, iron and zinc.